No products in the cart.
What is in Omuu that makes it so good?
At Omuu we believe in the power of Science based dog food
We want to keep your dog fit and healthy and hopefully reduce your visits to the Vet
- Packed full of essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals
- Highly digestible
- Hypoallergenic protein source. Perfect for dogs with food sensitivities.
- Naturally containing glucosamine to help support joints.
- Rich in fatty acids (lauric and linoleic acid) shown to have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- No artificial growth hormones or antibiotics used in production
- Inflammation of the gums surrounding the teeth (peridontitis) is a painful disease caused by the build up of plaque
- Plaque is formed when bacteria and food stick together and attach to the surface of the teeth
- Omuu adds Hexametaphosphate into all the recipes. This incredible compound has been shown to reduce the amount of plaque by up to 34%
- Adverse Food Reactions (AFR) is one of the leading causes of vomiting/diarrhoea in your dog. Omuu uses the hypoallergenic, novel insect protein to prevent these allergic reactions
- Omuu also packs the food with crucial prebiotics fibres (MOS, FOS, Inulin, Psyllium husks) which contribute to a healthy and balanced microflora (the bacteria in the gut)
- Insect protein has been shown to boost health by diversifying the gut bacteria
Skin & Coat
- Inflammation of the skin (dermatitis) is usually caused by an allergy to something in the environment. In rare cases the allergy can be caused by proteins in the food. Insect protein is naturally anti-inflammatory and hypoallergenic to help prevent an allergy flare up.
- Omuu contains high levels of Omega 3 and Omega 6 poly-unsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) which are essential for a healthy skin and coat.
- Long term ingestion of foods high in phosphorus and protein has been linked to renal disease in dogs.
- Omuu uses a nutritionally appropriate moderate level of phosphorus and protein to help protect the kidneys.
- Antioxidants help prevent cellular damage inside the body.
- Omuu petfood contains high levels of natural antioxidants (Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Tocopherol, Plant extracts) which help prevent cellular damage in your dogs body.
- Omuu petfood contains Lutein. A powerful antioxidant shown to help prevent damage to the eye
- The high antioxidants help protect your dogs teeth, skin, gut, joints. Every part of your dogs body benefits from antioxidants.
General nutritional questions
It is a common misconception that dogs are allergic to grains. Allergies in dogs are caused by reactions to the proteins in their food. Beef, Chicken and Lamb are the most common protein that cause allergies. Grains are packed full of essential vitamins and minerals. Both white and brown rice are the grains used in Omuu and it is a vital source of energy for your dog. The only breed of dog known to suffer from grain related allergies is the Irish Red Setter. A genetic condition known as gluten sensitive enteropathy which is actually a rare condition.
My dog suffers from gastrointestinal issues (vomiting/diarrhoea). Can the proteins in my dog food cause this also?
Yes, the proteins in your dog’s diet can also causes reactions in your dogs gut. AFR (adverse food reactions) can be either an allergic reaction (allergy) or a food intolerance (most common). This will present itself with many different clinical signs such as vomiting or diarrhoea. But it can also cause more vague signs such as flatulence.
Dogs are naturally omnivores. Many people liken domesticated dogs to wolves, their ancestors. However, due to breeding, humans have genetically changed dogs. We now know that dogs have enzymes to break down carbohydrates (known as amylase). We see wild dogs rummage through bins and even eat insects in the wild. However, it is impractical to compare domesticated dogs to wild free roaming dogs, since domesticated dogs are now living longer heathier lives due to better understanding of nutrition and more advanced Veterinary care. To put this into perspective, a wolf in the wild will live between 6-8 years. A wolf in captivity will live between 14-17 years.
No, insects are still an animal product. However, if you don’t eat meat based products due to cruelty then insect protein is a much better alternative and it is a more ethical practice than your traditional farming.
If you don’t eat meat based products due to the environmental impacts then again, insect protein is a more sustainable protein source.
There is a lot of debate currently on the use of raw food diets. In the Veterinary community we do not advocate a raw diet due to a number of reasons.
It is difficult to be sure that your homemade raw food contains all of the nutrients needed for your dog. This can lead to different deficiencies which can be detrimental to your dogs health. Many raw diets advocate the use of bones/egg shells which can easily get lodged in many parts of the dogs body which usually ends up needing surgery to remove. You may also be introducing harmful bacteria into your dogs gut with the use of raw food, such as salmonella, campylobacter or clostridium to name a few. This poses a risk to humans too as dogs with a very pathogenic form of salmonella can easily spread it in the environment.
Omuu petfood is constantly researching how to develop more sustainable recipes. Omuu believes in the health benefits of the recipe and we want to make sure your dog enjoys the taste of it too. We are constantly researching new ways to balance the nutrients/palatability with environmental impacts.
The Omuu recipe is carefully formulated by:
- Nutritionist with a masters of science in the nutrition of cats and dogs
- Small animal Veterinary Surgeon
Omuu makes sure it’s recipe follows the guidelines set out by the FEDIAF who are the European body for the production and sale of small animal nutrition. Omuu even went a step further and performed our own feeding trial prior to launch.
Omuu is also manufactured in a state of the art facility with excellent quality assurance (QA) protocols in place to ensure utmost food safety standards.
If you cannot find the answer to a question, please don’t hesitate to contact us on the following email;
Want to be part of the future....
Click on the link to return to the shop and start making a positive impact on your dogs health and on the environment